When you’re planning a move, it is a stressful undertaking. You’ll need to have the capacity for organization, along with the patience to pack and label and finally to move everything in your home. And, that’s just the beginning, because now you must unpack everything you packed. Plus, you only hope that you’ll be able to find what you need right away among all those boxes. A moving company will supply both packers and movers to anyone that is willing to hire them, saving you the energy spent doing the original packing and the heavy lifting.
Packers will follow your directions for how you want your belongings boxed. If you are unsure, let them take the lead. They are fully aware of the best methods to ensure the safe transport of all things including delicate items, breakable items, clothing and artwork. Be sure you prepare your packers with ample supplies. Before you hire packers and movers, assess your home. Walkthrough and estimate how many things you own that must be packed as breakable, how many books you own, how many small appliances, how many electronics, how much office or school equipment, etc. By grouping the items that can be packed together, you ensure they will be packed in the right thickness of box and that if needed they are wrapped in bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts for safe carriage. This will give you an idea of how much bubble wrap is needed, how much Styrofoam peanuts, how many heavy-duty boxes, how many regular large boxes and how many regular small boxes as well as artwork boxes and hanging clothing boxes. Packers are usually worth the money because unlike you or your family, they pack super-fast.
Small Moving Boxes
Boxes for moving come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and thicknesses. Double wall heavy duty boxes are great for stacking, so if you anticipate the need to stack your boxes for an extended period, go with this type of box. These boxes are usually reserved for breakable items like ceramic lamps or dishes. Boxes that measure 16″x12″12″ are the best size for books. Books should be packed vertically with the spine pointed down. This size box is perfect for small items that can be heavy when packed together: picture frames, office supplies, tools, office files, small appliances, and electronics. Try to keep the weight of a box this size under 50 to 60 pounds.
Medium to Large Moving Boxes
• 18″x18″x24″ boxes are used for packing large lamps and large kitchen appliances. These boxes are meant to carry no more than 65 pounds.
• 22″x22″x21 1/2″ boxes are used to pack bedding: pillows and blankets and soft stuffed toys. They’re not meant to hold more than 70 pounds of items.
• Hanging Wardrobe Boxes come in small, medium and large sizes. These boxes are even used to move chandeliers and wind chimes.
• Picture or Mirror Boxes transport artwork after they are wrapped in bubble wrap for safety.
• Dish Packs are extra thick corrugated boxes that when breakable dishes are placed inside have extra protection after being wrapped in bubble wrap. Moving is stressful, but you can hire that stress out to the company that moves you. Pay them for packing and moving and all you must do is order and pay for the moving materials. And, maybe do some managing and labeling.